Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fun and Thrills at the Dayton Dawn Patrol Fly-In!

What a beautiful day Sunday turned out to be! Andrew, Dan and Mark put on a wonderful flying demonstration for the crowd. After the planes landed, children were invited to have a seat in the Fokker Dr1. The kids were thrilled!

Right after the planes landed.

A young boy delighted to sit in the Dr1!


The line of kids with their parents waiting for their chance to sit in the Triplane.

Announcer, author Steve Skinner,
Andy and Steve's son trying out the Dr1.


A delighted young lady helped into the Red Baron's plane!

Steve being filmed by co-producer, cinematographer Russ Wiltse as he tells the crowd of the 1200 mile journey these planes have made to arrive at this air field.


Another shot of the line of kids with their parents
waiting their turn in the Dr1.

The DVII, Dr1 and DVIII lined up for the crowd.



Art making his way to that perfect camera angle for that perfect shot!


Art getting that perfect shot!


Russ getting his crowd shot. Look at him in those stylish Jodhpurs-how apropos!

The Munth's. They were at the Vintage Aero Flying Museum in August. They are from Ohio. When they learned of the event, they came out to see us!

Andy with event co-creator, Chris Mirren, discussing
plans for the next WWI Rendezvous in 2011.
Mr Mirren was in the restoration division
for the USAF Museum.


Andrea with Mr. Mirren. He shared that he knew Dr. James J. Parks very well and was delighted that the DVII Dr. Parks built was one of the aircraft that made the journey.

On the flight line getting ready for take-off!


At the pilot interview in Urbana, Ohio.




During the pilot interview for the documentary, each pilot was asked how they felt about the journey, what it was like to have flown the 1200 miles to the event and what was most memorable for them. Here were they're responses:
Mark Holliday, pilot of the Dr1:
"When I was first asked by Andy to make this cross-country trip, I was hesitant to commit. I remembered what it was like 10 years ago flying the Triplane from Tennessee to Colorado and how demanding that was. I was now being asked to go twice that distance! You've got to remember that I have to stop every 100 miles for fuel and oil and while in the air I have to keep completely focused. The Dr1 is not like a general aviation aircraft. The Dr1 has extra difficulties. Its tri-wing construction blocks visibility both in the air and on the ground. Its responsiveness is quick, but different and remember, this is an open cockpit airplane with a relatively small cockpit--you're not comfortable! What I think is most memorable is landing at those grass runways across middle America. It was cool to see the folks so excited! We knew at Dayton people would be excited, that's what they came to the show for. With all that being said, its been well worth it and I'm glad I decided to go."
Dan Murray, pilot of the DVII:
"I was excited to go on the trip. I'm used to flying around in my open cockpit TravelAir. But that being said, that damn Fokker DVII is a bugger to fly! It's heavy, slow to respond and not easy to maneuver. And speaking of maneuvering, you've got to remember I'm 70 years old!! Getting in and out of this large, full scale aircraft is demanding. But it has been fun and I feel a great sense of accomplishment as well. The whole trip has been memorable for me. But I must admit, being one of of 3 airplanes like these flying in formation cross country has been quite a thrill. It's also been quita a thrill pretending to have the other 2 guys in my sights!"
Andrew King, pilot of the DVIII:
"Well I have to admit, I have the easiest of the 3 planes to fly! When Andy asked me to come along on this journey, I was all for it. I've had a lot of experience making cross country journey's. It is demanding none the less. Again, it's cold, cramped--I'm 6' 3" for crying out loud! But it's also a lot of fun! I liken it to climbing a mountain; it's difficult, your muscles ache, it's tiring, but once you've accomplished it, there is a terrific amount of satisfaction. I think one of my most memorable moments was at Wright Field Flying the DVIII and thinking about how this same field is where Jimmy Doolittle did the first inverted loop. Here I am flying around at the same place he accomplished that--how cool!"

Andrew King with his beloved Pitcairn Autogiro. Isn't she a beauty!






The pilots are due to head out tomorrow, September 30, and start their trip back.
More to come as they journey home!

No comments:

Post a Comment